VP, UNSCRIPTED FOR BET NETWORKS │ LOS ANGELES, (CA)
BET Networks seeks an experienced development executive to join the Original Programming team as Vice President, Unscripted. The VP, Unscripted will oversee unscripted programming development for the West Coast office of BET and Centric.
The VP, Unscripted will be based in Los Angeles and report to the SVP & Head of Original Programming.
The VP, Unscripted will lead the West Coast based development function for all original unscripted programming at BET Networks in all genres (docu-series, competition, dating, comedy, fashion, food, etc.). S/he will be responsible for growing the unscripted programming slate into a valuable contributor of brand appropriate content.
Specifically, the VP, Unscripted will be responsible for:
• Developing unscripted content to ensure there is a healthy pipeline of fresh and relevant programs.
• Developing shows that deliver ratings with our core audience and beyond.
• Working closely with the SVP Head of Original Programming to ensure the vision of all BET original programming is being realized through the development of quality unscripted shows and series.
• Building and managing a development team as BET continues to grow its original programming efforts.
• Maintaining strong relationships with the creative community – agents, writers, producers, talent, etc.
• Attending relevant industry events in television and entertainment content such as NATPE and Realscreen Summit.
• Presenting unscripted programming slate internally and selling in show concepts.
• Working closely with other departments, such as Ad Sales, Marketing and Digital, to ensure all programming aligns with network revenue and marketing objectives.
• Maintaining constant awareness of industry trends and keeping up to date on all content related trends and information.
• Working closely with colleagues to jointly meet company-wide goals.
The VP, Unscripted must have experience in unscripted, alternative or non-fiction programming development. S/he may be working at a major studio, a production company, or at a cable or broadcast network in development.
S/he must have demonstrated success in developing unscripted shows that produce ratings. S/he must also have extensive contacts within the creative community.
In addition, we seek the following:
• The ability to successfully translate vision into strategy and turn that strategy into reality by developing a pipeline of shows.
• Proven leadership ability to inspire and manage a solid development team and process.
• The ability to appreciate different points of view, yet wholeheartedly embrace the culture of BET Networks.
• A strong understanding of the television production process.
• A proven track record of fostering, building and maintaining relationships with key external and internal clients.
• A high integrity level and a passion for, and caring about, the quality of programming that airs on the network.
• Experience with building and working as part of a cohesive team.
• Flexibility and the ability to perform effectively under stress and meet deadlines.
• A high energy level and the ability to manage through a period of change and growth.
• The ability to work at the strategic level as well as be involved in day-to-day activities.
• The ability to prioritize.
• Team building skills that develop people to their fullest potential.
• Excellent communications and relationship skills.
A bachelor’s degree in a related field is desired or equivalent work experience.
ABOUT BET NETWORKS
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA) (NYSE: VIA.B), is the nation's leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks - BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.
BET NETWORKS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – EOE