VP OF PRODUCTION, SCRIPTED FOR BET NETWORKS │ LOS ANGELES, (CA)
BET Networks seeks an experienced production executive to join the Original Programming team as Vice President of Scripted Production. The VP of Scripted Production will oversee the networks scripted programming and movie production. Provide compelling production value to meet creative expectations by communications, critical thinking, staying current on trends and support cross functional teams.
The VP of Scripted Production will be based in Los Angeles and report to the SVP of Physical Production.
The VP of Scripted Production will lead the physical production function for original scripted programming at BET Networks and BET Studios. S/he will be responsible for all aspects of production for series, MOWs, miniseries and pilot productions including locations, production planning, crew staffing, scheduling, budgeting, production and post-production.
In addition to managing the day-to-day operations, the VP of Scripted Production will work closely with the creative team, ensuring the best possible production process with all parties. S/he will employ the help of freelance talent and should have an extensive list of contacts they can utilize on a project basis. Specifically, the VP of Scripted Production will be responsible for:
• Working closely with the SVP of Physical Production and the BET Creative Team to ensure the vision of all BET original programming is being realized through quality production.
• Able to effectively communicate with Producers, Showrunners in the execution of their duties.
• Supervise all aspects of scripted production and developing effective procedures and systems to keep productions running smoothly for BET Networks and BET Studios.
• Teaming with Co-Productions, Third Parties and Acquisitions staff to support co-production and reformatting efforts.
• Staffing up as necessary as BET continues to grow its scripted programming efforts.
• Successfully negotiating deals with new Producers/ Third Party Production Companies.
• Draft and publish initial production budgets, schedules and planning documents.
• Continually monitoring all projects in progress with regard to schedule, budgets, update meetings, etc. Report any schedule and budget challenges and provide solutions.
• Solve budgetary issues while maintaining the creative integrity of the program.
• Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Manage a small, but efficient team. Additionally, alongside the SVP, help lead departmental initiatives.
• Providing daily supervision for Production Supervisors, Managers, and Production Coordinators for scripted programming.
• Review Production Reports, Hot Costs, and Cost Reports on a daily basis.
• Staying abreast of each state’s tax incentive credits and film crew availability to get the best team working on projects and the best financial benefit for BET.
• Working closely with colleagues with in the organization to manage each project efficiently from pre-production though the show launch.
• Stay abreast of new developing digital production technologies, work flows and new cameras.
The Vice President of Scripted Production must have experience in scripted television production. S/he may be working at a major studio, a production company, or at a cable or broadcast network in television production.
S/he must have demonstrated success in planning and overseeing projects, working with outside vendors, extensive contacts, and the ability to cope with change. Production budgeting experience is required as well as the following:
• 10 + years experience in pre-production through post-production for long form programming possibly at a national broadcast or cable network.
• The ability to successfully translate vision into strategy, and then turn that strategy into action through motivating and managing a production team.
• Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail which will ensure the production process runs smoothly and efficiently.
• The ability to appreciate different points of view, yet wholeheartedly embrace the culture of BET Networks.
• A strong understanding of the television production process and working familiarity with the various entertainment guilds and unions for film and TV including without limitation SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA and IATSE.
• Proven track record of fostering, building and maintaining relationships with key external and internal clients.
• A high integrity level and a passion for, and caring about, the quality of programming that airs on the network.
• Experience building and working as part of a cohesive team.
• Flexibility and the ability to perform effectively under stress and meet deadlines.
• A high energy level and the ability to manage through a period of change and growth.
• The ability to work at the strategic level as well as operating day-to-day activities.
• Extremely goal-oriented with the ability to prioritize.
• Team building skills that develop people to their fullest potential.
• Excellent communications and relationship skills.
A bachelor’s degree in a related field is desired or equivalent work experience.
ABOUT BET NETWORKS
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA) (NYSE: VIA.B), is the nation's leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks - BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.
BET NETWORKS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – EOE